Sunday, August 29, 2010

You just don’t know where someone has been or what their life is like. This is just one example.

How did you get your first bike? Did you get an allowance as a child? I didn’t get an allowance. My parents told us that we were a family and we needed to work together to make ends meet. Our allowance was food on the table and a place to sleep. I got my first bike by saving money from birthdays, working as a paper route sub, and baby-sitting.

How did you get your first car? I was lucky enough to have my parents sign a bank note for $800, I had my first car loan. I worked a lot of hours while in high school to pay off that loan and to save for college.

I paid for college. No my parents were not able to help me with books or tuition. I was lucky to live with them while studying and working. It took me a few years to get my associate degree but I got it free and clear. Going away to college was a dream that I couldn’t afford. Cutting loose and partying is something I kind of regret not doing but it was a good choice to stay at home and work.

Working is something I have done since I can remember. I learned the valuable lesson of buying what you can afford. Sometimes it takes a long time to save.

How old is your car? Mine is over 9 years and has over 136,000 miles on it. I take good care of it and it is running like a champ.

Someday I’m going to be driving a BMW or something else that is nice. I’ve been saving a long time. Think what you want but not all people with nice things are jerks. Not all people are just given things...some work really hard and can afford them and appreciate them.

No comments: